Monday, December 12, 2011

Talk on the Phone

I... hate... talking on the phone.  Through text or email you can think about what you're going to say.  In person you can read someone's facial expressions and body language.  When you're talking to someone on the phone, you've got nothin' but your words and theirs to convey thought, feeling, expression, and concept.  Not cool.
Nevertheless, sometimes we must communicate through this method, and i am trying to accept that.  Tonight I talked to someone I'd been meaning to call for two weeks... and it was lovely.
I don't know why I work myself up about these things because despite occasional pauses or stuttering, my conversations usually go pretty well, sometimes dazzlingly well.  And yet...
So I did a little research tonight.  Turns out that people who talk on the phone regularly are usually better at socializing in general.  (Hm... another problem of mine.)  I also found some dorky fun tips for talking on the phone:
1.) before you call, think about what you want to say/ask.  (Duh.  But if you are like me, you may spend too much time thinking about it and psych yourself out.  Don't do that.)
2.) try to relax (you mean, don't get hopped up on Redbull and pixie stix?  Oh... that's what I've been doing wrong.)
3.) get into a conversation (gee, why didn't I think of that?)
4.) be honest (no problem there, I am usually TOO honest.)
5.)  (Ready... this is my favorite...) If there is an awkward pause, say "Can you hang on a sec?" and pretend like you are stepping away to do something until you think of something to pick up the conversation again with.  (That. is. brilliant.)
And so, people in my life, I am trying to overcome my phone aversion to improve my relationships with you.  Because I love you.  I love you so much, I will even talk to you on the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment