Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 27: Get a Life

This was the original title I wanted for my blog, not sure why it didn't work... I read it a while ago in a book by John Bytheway, and have since adapted it into a memoir I'm working on.  But I digress... In the book, titled "What I wish I'd known when I was single," he advises that while we are "waiting" for "the one," we should get a life.  And by that he means that we shouldn't be "waiting" at all, but should be actively pursuing career, education, trying new things, developing our talents, and anxiously engaged in a good cause.  Ironically, sitting around "waiting" for someone or something amazing to drop into our laps, makes it even more unlikely to happen.  Who wants to be with someone who isn't accomplishing their own amazing goals, but is waiting for someone else to fulfill them?  And who wants to give an opportunity to someone who is bogged down by discouragement and self-doubt?  Indeed, without putting ourselves out there in every way available to us, how do we even meet these people or find these opportunities, let alone get rejected?
Anyway, this post feels a little discombobulated, but I watched a movie this evening that brings it all together, I think.  "Hello Dolly!" has been one of my favorites since I was a kid.  In fact, my Aunt owned it, and I'd watch it every time I went over until finally she said, "Um... why don't you just take it..."  So I did, and when I wore it out, I got the dvd!  Dolly is a passionate and confident woman who, despite her thriving social connections, is seeking a deeper companionship.  She sings a song called "Before the Parade Passes By," about joining in the parade after being on the sidelines for awhile.  These lines...


I need got a goal again
I need got a drive again
I wanna feel my heart coming alive again


...perfectly exemplify what I want for my life right now.  I am trying really hard to get back in the parade of life, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment