Friday, April 1, 2011

March 30: Let's Get Together

Oh, boy.  I am kind of cheating because it is not really the 30th (sh... don't tell).  But I remember my thoughts from that day, so here goes.  My dad's side of the family gets together pretty regularly.  We meet with them for major holidays, birthdays, and occasional fish fries and things like that.  As I kid I was always excited to get together with the extended family, see my cousins, swim in the pool, eat delicious food.
     But let's face it, family's change over the years.  Kids grow up, people get married, move away.  The older I get, the more disillusioned I become by things I sure thought I understood when I was younger.  Suddenly this person is really hypocritical, that person is rude, this kid is annoying and spoiled rotten.  It can be hard to love family sometimes, especially when it feels like we have to.  But even though I went through periods of feeling like I didn't want to see them, it's usually me, not them, who is different.  Am I happy with my life and confident in who I am becoming?  Am I positive and do I try to see the best in people?  Do I go in an attitude expecting to be given fun, or do I bring it myself?  Lately I have tried to bridge the gap between childhood and adulthood by taking the reins with the kids and making things fun for them.  I'd like them to enjoy family gatherings as much as I used to.
     Even though we are all different and it can be hard to get along, we can learn to harmonize our differences and make beautiful, groovy music.

p.s. this is one of my favorite movies of all time, check out this scene
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxtyAC59AeE

No comments:

Post a Comment