Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March 29: Circle the Wagons

This post is not so much about me as it is about my Mom.  It's just us girls right now because my Dad and brother are out camping until tomorrow.  Today I enjoyed the quiet and the gloomy, cool weather, cleaned up a little, read, made dinner and dessert.  I liked our house tonight.  Sometimes it seems too small or cluttered or dirty.  But tonight it was cozy and bright and smelled like brownies.  I was watching a classic in the living room, excited for my Mom to come home and be able to relax.  And then she arrived in tears, totally stressed out and overwhelmed by a recent meeting she'd gone to.  My sister was at her side in an instant, letting her spill out the whole story, calming her.  Then when I heard I went in as well.  This is what we do.  This is the beautiful thing about families.
     There is an old saying that goes "circle the wagons."  It comes from pioneer days when traveling companies would park their wagons in a circle.  This would shield them from harsh winds, provide a sort of central safe zone, and make the wagons easier to defend in case of an attack.  During this time, campfires would blaze, meals were made, and surely there was singing, dancing, and laughing as well.  Now it is a term which means to gather together as a group and protect, uplift, or nourish.  Hopefully we all have people in our lives who can surround us in times of distress.  A warm meal, a soft blanket, a calming word, a good laugh, this is what it takes to set us right again.  May we all try harder to uplift and comfort those around us.

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
~ Bill Withers

No comments:

Post a Comment