Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Feb 24-March 2: Take the Good with the Bad

Oh, man, I should NOT be up this late!  But we just got our internet back today and I was itching to get blogging again.  I wrote a new article for visitsouth.com first, but have really been missing the personal catharsis I get on this blog.  A few of you who follow me regularly have been asking me why I haven't been posting, and I'll tell you why- LIFE.  It always seems that when we hit a nice rhythm or we are really satisfied or happy or peaceful about things, something happens... like a wrench thrown into... I don't know, some kind of machine.  One thing bangs into another, which snaps, until the whole thing implodes.  At least, that's how it feels.  It can be easy to get thrown off track and go in a completely different direction.  What's important, is that we get back on.  So how can we do that?  Well that depends on what kind of track we are trying to get back on, whether it's doing something regularly like exercising, writing, getting up early, being positive or kind, or refraining from something like smoking, drinking, swearing, or rolling our eyes too much.  Whatever it is that we're wanting to do or not do, sometimes life gets in the way.  Things get lost, packages arrive late, companies downsize, our favorite fingernail polish colors get discontinued, the internet goes out for a few days.  But among all that icky, frustrating, unfortunate stuff, there are little blessings... like a diamond hiding in a steaming pile of manure.  For example, even though the last few days have been "bad," I have also: gone to a festival, hung out with friends, slept in, laid out, walked on the beach, read a good book, and just today I made (with a little help from my dad), painted, and decorated 2 cute shelves for my room.  "Good" and "bad" are like the banks on the river of our life, they aren't going anywhere, and they are guiding us together, side by side.  I don't think it's a coincidence that my last blog (a whole week ago) was an "upper."  I was high on life and things were going so well.  So in a way, this comes at a perfect time.  As, I think we will some day find, most of the "bad" in our lives does.

“When things go wrong, you'll find they usually go on getting worse for some time; but when things once start going right they often go on getting better and better.”  C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment