Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 25: Enough is Enough

Oh my-lanta!  This has been one weirdo day.  (Not that being a weirdo is a bad thing.)  It started off awesome because my sister didn't have to work, so both of us got to sleep in and then we went to the beach.  We are communicating so much better now, it's amazing!  Then we came home and I did nothing for three hours but sit outside, read, pet needy cats, and swing in a hammock.  It was glorious.  Then I decided I would give myself a painting lesson.  I have this book that teaches you how to paint a particular image step by step.  Problem is, it's totally different from how I usually paint and I got frustrated and completely fell apart.  I mean, I wasn't crying or anything, but I crumpled it up and threw it passionately on the ground.  I was frustrated with myself for getting frustrated, more than anything.  And then I thought, well, maybe I'm not supposed to paint like this guy.  I have my own way of doing things and it works okay, so why bother trying to master someone else's technique?  But that prideful moment melted away when I realized that we have something to learn from anyone, no matter how different their approach.  So I cleaned up my stuff and I am going to try again tomorrow.  Then I went online to answer some emails.  A friend of mine asked if I would check out his website and give him some feedback, which tickled me pink, but also worried me because I am REALLY critical on myself, and when I get into that mode when asked for my honest opinion, I never know where to draw the line.  Luckily, it was a really good website, or I would have had to lie to him, which is not me at all.  Then I replied to an email from a friend of mine and ended up getting into a deep discourse on love and marriage.  When I started this post, I had so many thoughts swimming around in my head that I hardly knew where to start.  And then I saw one simple theme throughout my day.  "Enough is enough."  If I had applied that principle correctly, I might not have stayed out in the sun for quite so long, as I have a slightly painful pink sunburn now.  I did, however, apply it to my art lesson. I was frustrated, and I'd had enough for one day.  I could also apply it to the delicious dessert that my sister made tonight- Frozen Lemonade Pie.  Mmmm.... I cannot accurately describe how intoxicating this particular food item is for me.  If I could have only one food for the rest of my life, this would be the one.  I always want more and more and more of this tart, chilly seductress... But tonight I managed to stop at 2 small pieces.  As for my emails to my friends, hopefully it was just enough.  What a great, simple principle to apply to our lives more wisely.  Imagine if we always knew when to put down the fork, when to listen instead of talk, when to step away from an argument that isn't going anywhere, when to go to sleep, when to... you get the picture.  Surprisingly, I still have more to say on this topic, but it's late and I guess enough is enough.

"Half of art is knowing when to stop."  - Arthur William Radford

No comments:

Post a Comment