Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19: Have Charity

      
In the scriptures, charity is defined as "pure love."  It's something we've all heard before, but what does it really mean?  When most people hear the word charity, they probably think of donating things to the poor and needy, giving money, food, clothes, or services to help others.  But it is so much more than that.  Doing those things is noble and good, but without compassion and pure love behind those actions, they are empty deeds.  True charity means that we don't look down on others, don't belittle others, don't gossip about others.  It means that we are kind to others in our thoughts, words, and deeds.  It means that we are patient with others, realizing that they have faults and virtues just as we do.  It means that we are not easily angered or puffed up in pride, but that we are meek, humble, and submissive.  It means that we should focus on the good in others and not seek to control and change them to suit our own desires.  
     Tomorrow in church I am teaching a lesson in R.S. about charity, a subject I'll confess I didn't know much about.  Now that I have a greater understanding of what it means to be truly charitable, I see evidence of it all around me.  Tonight as I was wallowing in my germs, trying to put my lesson together, my Mom went ahead and spent a couple hours preparing the refreshments I wanted to give my class.  This is a woman who works full time, has children to raise, a house to keep, time-consuming church callings, and a host of other things to do.  And yet, she more than anyone else in my life, has constantly performed loving and thoughtful acts of service for me and so many other people.  Thank you Mom, you are a true example of "pure love."


"Without charity... whatever else we accomplish matters little.  With it, all else becomes vibrant and alive."  ~ Joseph B. Wirthlin


No comments:

Post a Comment