Friday, March 4, 2011

Mar 4: Don't Assume You Already Know the Answer

So... tonight was the March First Friday Artwalk, which I wrote an article about for visitsouth.com and was really excited to go to.  There was one problem, I didn't have anyone to go with me.  Now, I am not the kind of person who can never be alone.  In fact, I need constant blocks of time in which to be alone or I will lose it.  But sometimes you just feel like enjoying something with someone.  I was just getting ready to go by myself, but for some reason, at the last minute, I asked my dad.  Now, my dad used to be quite the social butterfly, I hear, when he was young- surfing, girls, hangin' out, goin' out, causin' trouble.  But since I have known him (and especially in the last few years), he has gained a reputation as somewhat of a loner.  While he wistfully tells us stories of his former glories, he is content, for the most part, with his bed, a strange documentary, and some scrambled eggs.  He doesn't like going out, he doesn't like crowds, and he has never shown much of an interest in art.  And so, when I asked him, I was sure he'd laugh or say something sarcastic, blow me off without a second thought and commence his usual evening.  But instead (after only 2 encouraging/whiny comments from me) he said yes!  Needless to say, I felt like I was having a stroke.  But when I pulled my jaw off the floor I was delighted.  I hope I showed him how happy I was that he joined me.  He was so cute, pretending to be interested, being patient when it took an hour and a half instead of half an hour.  I even think he had a little fun.  Sometimes we think we know people so well, that we count them out when really all they may need is a little encouragement.  All of us want to feel loved, appreciated, and like it's never too late to surprise ourselves.

"the people you love can surprise you every day... maybe who we are isn't so much about what we do, but rather what we're capable of when we least expect it." 
 Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

No comments:

Post a Comment