Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5: Celebrate Something You Usually Don't

So... we have never... ever... celebrated Cinco de Mayo, mostly because we aren't Mexican.  But hey, we love any excuse to have fun and do something a little different.  So tonight Brittany and I made a delicious Mexican feast of enchiladas (from a box), a 7-layer chip dip (w/ refried beans, cheese, cream cheese, salsa, lettuce, and tomatoes), daquiries (virgin, of course, we use Sprite... mmmmm, so refreshing :) and strawberry pie.  Now, I don't know if all those things are actually Mexican, I'm pretty sure the strawberry pie isn't, at least.  But who cares?  The point was, we had fun.  Dad even helped a little.  And it was super-freakin' delicious, AND my brother wore this awesomely ridiculous black sombrero with gold designs on it while he read to us about the origins of Cinco de Mayo (which I obviously didn't listen to very well, except that I remember the celebration started with Mexico gaining their independence from the French.) And so, for us, Cinco de Mayo meant eating delicious food, watching "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (which always makes me appreciate my life more), drinking fabulous beverages (which we garnished with fruit slices), and spending time with the family.
     So as I thought of my post topic for tonight, I thought, wouldn't it be great if I celebrated more things in life that I usually don't?  Not just holiday's that may not relate to my culture or religion, but daily occurrences in life.  Today, for example, I worked with my Dad, published 2 posts, submitted 2 more (a jump-start on next week), and found out I got a raise at Visitsouth.  I guess I could look at tonights' dinner as a celebration of that (though all the article stuff was after that).  Or... I could get another piece of that strawberry pie and go to sleep (the sweetest celebration of any long day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment