Saturday, February 12, 2011

Feb 12: Be Positive

Today I delivered flowers for Valentine's Day, and as I was driving I had a lot of time to think.  I'm not sure what brought it about, but I suddenly felt so grateful.  I thought about how down I've been off and on about myself and my life, the things I'd like to change and my frustration for not being able to get what I want.  And then today it suddenly hit me how ungrateful I was being for everything in my life.  I started seeing a positive to every negative and before I knew it I was filled with gratitude and saw everything differently.  For example, I focus a lot on my physical flaws, that I'm not thin, that I have to wear contacts and they bother me sometimes, that my teeth aren't white enough, toes are silly looking, skin is too pale.  And then I realized how ridiculous it is to focus on those things and see them that way.  I may not be thin, but I am healthy.  I'm not disfigured or handicapped, I can do everything  I want to do and I am strong.  I may have to wear contacts, but I have eyes and I can see the amazing world and all of its diverse beauty.  Imagine if we could approach every "negative" aspect of our lives that way.  I hate getting up early, but I'm glad I have things to get up early for, like work, so that I can earn money and provide for myself.  I don't like doing chores sometimes, but I'm so grateful I have a home to clean, to live in and be protected and warm.  I don't always get along with my family, but I love them so much, and I can't imagine how lonely and lost I'd be without them.  
Thoughts have a way of building on top of each other and gaining power.  When we think of just one negative thing, we think of another and another until we are like Winnie the Pooh with a little black raincloud over us.  When we think of one thing positive, or that we are grateful for, we think of another and another until we are smiling and filled with joy.  We have the power, no matter what's going on, to control our feelings and our thoughts.  

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.  ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

No comments:

Post a Comment