Saturday, February 5, 2011

Feb 5: Live for the Good

 I spent the day working with my Dad and little brother, went for a long walk to the Castillo, and then watched a couple documentaries with my folks.  An exciting Saturday night, I know :)  I had several themes vying for post position, which is always better than struggling to come up with one. But in the end the idea that was freshest won out, the classic battle of good vs. evil.  I like to think of the world as mostly good.  In fact, my mom is always worried when I want to go off on my own because I seem too carefree, as if nothing in the world could ever harm me.  But the truth is, you never know what could happen at any moment.  The movies we watched tonight were filled with stories of unspeakable traumatic events.  It's sad to that we as human beings are capable of such atrocity.  But we are also capable of amazing acts of compassion, heroic deeds, and kindness.  It makes me think of a scene in "Where the Heart Is."  Ashley Judd plays a woman whose boyfriend beat her after she tried to rescue her child from his sexual abuse.  In tears she asks her friend, played by Natalie Portman, what she is supposed to tell her kids when they ask why this happened to them.  Her friend replies: "You tell them that our lives can change with every breath we take... and tell 'em to hold on like hell to what they've got: each other, and a mother who would die for them and almost did... You tell them we've all got meanness in us, but we've got goodness too. And the only thing worth living for is the good. And that's why we've got to make sure we pass it on."  


No comments:

Post a Comment