Sunday, February 13, 2011

Feb 13: See

So my sister and I gave talks in sacrament today, and I taught Relief Society.  We were very nervous about the whole thing, but everything went really well and now we are so relieved it's over.  Of course there will always be another talk or lesson in the future, but for now we are relaxed.  I searched for a theme that popped up a lot during the day, as I often do, and today's theme is "See."  I realize this is a very open theme and kind of like that about it.  We can see how our choices affect our future, and those around us.  We can see the positive things rather than the negative.  We can see the beauty in the world around us.  We can see all of the work that goes into making every aspect of our lives the way it is, and be grateful.
But mostly I want to talk about how we can see miracles all around us, every day.  You all know I love movies, and one of my favorite scary movies is "Signs" by M. Night Shyamalan.  In it there is a scene where Graham, an ex-reverend, is trying to comfort his brother Merrill, who is worried about the future of the human race.  He tells him there are two kinds of the people, those who see signs, see miracles, and the ones who see everything as random chance.  By the end of the movie, Graham's faith is returned to him.  He sees that though he thought God had turned his back on him, every difficult thing had happened for a specific reason, and in the end, it was his ability to see those small miracles that saved him and his family.  
Deepak Chopra teaches that God sends us messages in the form of coincidence.  That He is always there, ever trying to teach us something, show us something, and all we have to do is be open to those signs.  To me one of the most miraculous things to behold is the sky.  And through modern technology we can see more beautiful sights than we could ever have imagined.  Of course, there is science going on behind all of it, but that is how God works.  Galileo Galilei's study of space increased his faith in God.  He asserted that science and religion were two different languages telling the same story.  Now I don't know much about science.  I can't tell you about the physics behind aurora borealis or black holes or magnetic fields.  But I do know this, they are miracles.  Everything is.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment