Saturday, February 19, 2011

Feb 19: Sleep

So I have been up for like 20 hours, I spent all day on my feet, and I am sore and exhausted.  But it was wonderful!  We went to Universal again, and stayed for the Mardi Gras parade and a little of the B52's concert.  The last thing I want to do right now is work on this post, so I thought I'd write about the one thing I want to do more than anything, and something I always quite enjoy... sleep.  According to Wikepedia, Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or lacking consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles.  Sleep is a heightened anabolic state, accentuating the growth and rejuvenation of the immune, nervous, skeletal and muscular systems.  Effects of sleep deprivation include: irritability, cognitive impairment, memory lapses, impaired moral judgement, impaired immune system, higher risk of type 2 diabetes, obesity, and heart disease, aches, tremors, and growth suppression.  Benefits of sleeping include: pretty much the opposite of all of the negative things just mentioned.  Sorry... I am quite tired.  Tomorrow is Sunday, the day of rest.  And that is just what I intend to do.  There is nothing like a busy day to make you really appreciate how comforting and amazing it can feel to go to sleep at night.  Like I said before, opposition and balance :)  


O bed! O bed! delicious bed!
That heaven upon earth to the weary head.
~Thomas Hood, Miss Kilmansegg - Her Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment