Friday, February 4, 2011

Feb 4: Use Your Words

I was conflicted about what to post today, as I accomplished very little and did not put much thought into anything I did.  Sad, but true.  The one thing worth writing about is a walk I took with my mother, in which she poured her heart out to me about the pain she's been feeling since someone posted something cruel and hateful about her online.  I have a couple very important letters I've been trying to write, and so I have been thinking a lot lately about the power of words.  Words can start wars, bring peace, change everything.  At their best, they uplift and inspire, at their worst they can crush and wound.  We must be careful to use words like good, evil, love, hate, always, and never only when they truly apply, not to be dramatic.  Our words reveal who we are.  So who do we want the world to see?


“The language we use to communicate with one another is like a knife. In the hands of a careful and skilled surgeon, a knife can work to do great good. But in the hands of a careless or ignorant person, a knife can cause great harm.  Exactly as it is with our words.” 
Source Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment