Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Feb 9: Enjoy Your Freedom

Okay, so we all know single awareness day is coming up soon, but that is not where this is coming from, I promise:)  I watched a documentary tonight about North Korea that shocked me.  I knew a little about the situation there already, but this documentary showed footage from inside that astounded me.  Known as the "Hermit Kingdom," N.K. is famous for its secrecy and strict adherence to "juche," an ideology of self-reliance which keeps them from accepting anything from outside their own borders, even to their detriment.  The people sounded brainwashed and scared to think for themselves, and it made me realize how lucky we are.  Everyone knows that the United States of America are not popular everywhere else in the world.  In fact, some people consider us to be pure evil and would annihilate us at the first opportunity.  Whether we are being lied to by our government or are unwitting conspirators to do ill in other countries I cannot know, and it is not my intention to get mixed up in all of that.  What I am saying is that never have I appreciated freedom as I do right now.  To be able to choose how to worship, to own property, choose employment, read books, watch movies, listen to music, take in every idea available and decide for ourselves what is true and what is not, what is valuable and what is not, that is freedom.  And freedom is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment