Saturday, January 1, 2011

Jan 1: Start Fresh

I woke up this morning and felt stupid happy.  I was actually smiling and singing as I was making the bed.  And I hate making the bed.  What, you may ask, was the reason for this mood?  Well I'll tell you... I have no idea.

Except that lately I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do differently in my life.  And I am the kind of obsessive-neurotic person that needs a clean start, like a brand new shiny year to do it.  It's almost as if I had all of these seeds of change inside me, but I didn't let in any light until today.

And rather than thinking about all the things I want to change and getting overwhelmed and giving up, I decided to start this blog, dedicated to making small changes.  My favorite quote of all time is:

"Life isn't about finding yourself.  It's about creating yourself."


And what do you do when you want to create something? You start with a blank canvas.  So today's small change was to start fresh.  I cleaned the room, I took a bubble bath, I took care of some things I'd been avoiding, I even found time to go for a bikeride, watch the sunset, and eat a lucky bowl of black-eyed peas and rice.  And for the first time ever, the New Year actually feels like a New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment