Monday, January 17, 2011

Jan 17. Water

The past couple days when I went to do my blog, it took forever.  I couldn't focus, my sleeping medicine was kicking in (I had been trying not to take them lately, but kept having headaches in the evening), and I would type and delete sentences over and over again, not liking any of them.  Even researching and then finding a picture that exemplifies my theme for the day was frustrating and time-consuming.  Tonight, I am vowing to type straight through, settle on a picture and be done with it.  Not b/c I am getting lazy or don't care, but b/c I have a stomach flu and am fighting nausea and just wanting to go to bed.  Plus, the point of this year is not to be perfect, I really need to self-critique less and create more.
Anyway, my theme for today became water.  I drank several glasses this morning, looking out the window at the sprinkling rain and wet everything.  Water cleans, purifies, restores, and revitalizes.  It is necessary for every bodily function.  Often when we are feeling tired, weak, hungry, ill, or even experiencing mental effects such as difficulty focusing or forgetfulness, it is because we are dehydrated.  Dehydration is also linked to diseases such as Alzheimer's.  It is also linked to insomnia,  allergies, arthritis, anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and chronic aches and pains. Many doctors swear by the healing potential of water, some even suggests that consistent and appropriate amounts of the right kind of water can cure diseases, lengthen life, and improve quality of life.
I wanted to put in here something about the symbolism of water: in Christianity- living waters, baptism, sacrament, walking on water; in Taoist tradition- an aspect of wisdom, flowing in the path of least resistance, in Ancient Greece- a symbol of metamorphosis as water has many forms, and in many other cultures a source of life (literally) and a means of sustaining life. (For more on this, visit http://www.pureinsideout.com/water-myths-mysteries-and-symbolism.html)  I am drawn to water- lakes, rivers, the sea, rain, snow, fog.  Somehow water in any form calms and quiets me instantly.  In fact, just thinking of it as I have typed this blog has made me feel better :)   


Water is life's mater and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water.”  - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi


No comments:

Post a Comment