Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jan 9: Let it Bee

So, another wonderful Sunday, here and gone.  Had so many ideas for my blog that I almost couldn't pick.  In the end, the one that stuck with me was an analogy I heard about a camel and a bee.  But let me start by asking, have you ever considered how complex and diverse nature is?  There are millions of plants and animals, and each has their role in the circle of life.
Now imagine a camel and bee (who are self-aware and like to think about things...). The camel thinks, "I hate being a camel. I am awkward and bland, I have to carry all this stuff around.  I wish I could be like that bee.  It can fly, it is bright and pretty, it makes honey..."  The bee thinks, "I hate being a bee.  I am so small and weak, I work all the time.I wish I could be like that camel.  It's big and strong, it can travel long distances..."  How often are we like that?  Always comparing ourselves to others and thinking that they've got it so great and have so much to offer, and not being grateful for our own unique gifts.
I've been reading a lot about enlightenment, how it can only be attained when we overcome our ego.  Our ego is constantly seeking attention, affection.  It is easily swayed by flattery, or insult.  But when we have become truly self-aware, we have put the ego aside and have an inner peace, a sense of individuality and constancy of spirit that cannot be diminished or increased by external influences.  So if we can focus more on our own good qualities, and seek to use them in making the world a better place, instead of always trying to be someone else, we can embrace who we are, flaws and all, and say "this is who I am, and I serve a purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment