Sunday, January 23, 2011

Jan 23. Have a Little Faith

I love when a concept keeps coming up all day.  It makes me feel like God is shouting it at me from somewhere.  Today's concept was faith, how it can mold us, comfort us, empower us.  Our branch president shared events in his life that turned him from the brink of atheism back to God.  He mentioned 6 qualities that can turn us further from faith: doubt, discouragement, distraction, lack of diligence, disobedience, and finally disbelief.  It made me take a look at my life.  What events lead to the moments where doubts creep in?  What seeming-failures or disappointments in my life have discouraged me?  What meaningless things do I use to fill my time and energy that are distracting me from better things?  What areas of my life can I try a little harder in?  In what ways am I being rebellious, or thinking of immediate rather than long-term and lasting happiness?  And how can all of these things add up to me disbelieving things that I know deep down to be true?  I think again to some of those powerful and influential heroes of history.  One thing they all have in common is great faith in their cause.  It is the marrow of their bones, the energy behind all they do and the strength in all that they are.  It empowered them to do miraculous things.  What miraculous things could I do, if only I had a little more faith?

You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith.”  - Mary Manin Morrissey

No comments:

Post a Comment