Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jan 19. Reflecting Light

It's a full moon tonight, and as it strangely has come up in conversation lately, I thought I should go ahead and pick it for my theme today, not knowing fully what I would be writing about.  So I did some research and here is what I've found:  Though the moon is illuminated, and therefore associated with light (wisdom, purity, truth), it does not shine of it's own accord, but reflects the light of the sun.  It is associated with both male and female archetypes, but is mostly referenced as having feminine qualities such as intuition, receptivity, and passivity. She is also associated with water, specifically the cycles of the tides, and therefore all water creatures as well as nocturnal animals such as bats, owls, and wolves.  The kind of moon changes is significance as well, for example the new moon represents a fresh start, whereas a full moon like tonight represents the height of power, the peak of clarity, fullness, and obtainment of desire.  (When I read that last part I thought "Sweet!")
But then I found some insights a little deeper, and realized that we are each like the moon.  We each go through phases where we are shrouded in darkness, illuminated by degrees, and hopefully seeking to attain complete fullness.  But it is only when we receive divine light that we are able to shine it upon others.

p.s. Check out the song "Reflecting Light," by Sam Phillips.  It's my all-time favorite, a beautiful song about redemption and love.

The living self has one purpose only: to come into its own fullness of being, as a tree comes into full blossom, or a bird into spring beauty, or a tiger into lustre    D.H. Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment