Friday, January 7, 2011

Jan 7: Laugh

I know this one seems very obvious, and like something every generic self-help book will tell you to do.  But I was struggling today, and I needed this one.  This morning was the first one all week that I had to do actual work.  I mean physical, in so much pain i never want to move again- construction kind of work.  Work with a capital Wah..... But I digress.  Because of this "work," I didn't have the leisure time in the morning that I've had the past 6 days.  And so instead of spending hours meditating, writing, and reading, I slept in as long as possible and then was rushed out the door by my impatient father.  On the way there, and with the conversations that came up, I could feel negativity building up inside me.
Then I took a deep breath, smiled, and decided that one bad start wasn't going to derail me from my progress.  I ended up having a pretty good day (though rough).  And when I came home I had a story to tell, that though amusing, I certainly didn't think would tickle my mom so pink it'd bring tears to her eyes.  Allow me to share: So we were installing sheetrock over a lady's crappy old ceiling.  Sheetrock is heavy, going up and down ladders is hard on the legs, and holding your arms above your head all day while holding a heavy electric screwdriver is not the funnest thing in the world.  Halfway through the day I got a piece of sheetrock in my eye and couldn't get it out.  I went to the bathroom so I could use the mirror, and after freeing the tiny but deadly fragment, I noticed that my lips were dark purple, and I had no idea why.  I asked my Dad and brother in law, who had "subconsciously noticed when it wasn't quite so bad."  Dad suggested I get more oxygen to my brain, but besides that we were all quite befuddled.  It wasn't until an hour later, when I noticed how dirty my hands had gotten from handling the screws, that I realized duh... I'd been holding the extra screws in between my lips so that I didn't have to bend over as much.   So silly... Anyway, you never know when a simple silly thing like that will happen, and you must embrace them when they do.  One thing is for sure, whatever you look for in life, you'll find it.  So why not look for something to smile about? p.s. dear cute baby, sorry to exploit you, but you are adorable :)

No comments:

Post a Comment