Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jan 18. Notice the Little Things

So after a yucky stomach flu ravaged me, I was seeking to take things easy and have some peace and quiet today.  It was sprinkling again, and I'm not sure if it was because of this that the whole day has seemed calm. That's not to say that I haven't noticed mayhem trying to sneak it's way in, but instead of rising to the defense like I usually do, I am trying to acknowledge, pause, and respond in a way that diffuses rather than escalates the situation.  Imagine if we all did that all the time...
My theme today is on noticing the little things.  As I went for my walk today, I took deep breaths.  I focused on a cool breeze on my face and the warmth of the shoes I wore (borrowed fresh off the feet of my mom, always generous).  I breathed in the fresh smell of laundry detergent, wafting from an open garage, and then the smell of charcoal burning, and on the way home a sweetness like toasted marshmallows.  When I came home the cats greeted me, my sister was pulling up in the driveway, smiling and waving.  Later as I sat to do my blog my little brother gave me a hug, kissed my cheek, and told me he loved me.
In life there is so much going on around us at all times.  Our brains learn to filter out what is "unimportant" so that we can focus enough to function and are not overwhelmed.  But sometimes we need to slow down and focus on those little, "unimportant" things that fill each moment.  When we embrace each day in that way, we live life more fully.  In addition to noticing the little things, it's important to appreciate the little things, and to remember to do the little things as well, whether they are noticed by others or not.

"If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive."
-- Eleonora Duse

No comments:

Post a Comment